:: :: ::: Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Blogging about Sails

Now there's a thing I know about sails, that they can sail against the wind.
Physics test today got me stumped.
When the apple or whatever fruit hit Newton on his noggin I hope he cried. Very loudly.

THE UTTER RELEVATION OF SAILS
(How boats go upwind, from the University of New South Wales)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This is the part I understand. Wind flows around sail smoothly and deviates in direction, so that the sails exert a force on the wind, with an acceleration so and so and a reaction force of wind on sails in the opposite direction.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This is the part that I don't. No wait, I would have, if I hadn't left the bloody keel out! The University of New South Wales will take on from here...

Why doesn't the boat drift sideways? Well it does a little, but when it does, the keel, a large nearly flat area under the boat, has to push a lot of water sideways. The water resists this, and exerts the sideways force F(k) on the keel.

This cancels the sideways component of Fw. As to the forwards component: it accelerates the boat until the drag force Fd holding it back is big enough so that

Fw = -{Fk + Fd}.

So a boat can sail close to the wind: typically 45 degrees, although many high performance boats go closer than that.

A BOAT SAILING UPWIND CAN GO FASTER THAN ONE SAILING DOWNWIND!!!!!!!

Any idiot mathematics can make the physical laws of the universe, but only a sentient being can make them go mental.

HERE IS THE SITE. CLICK IT.

3 Comments:

Blogger Zoorado said..

Hmm that's correct. But we are certainly not expected to know about keels; not their existence and surely not their use(s). If we exclude the keels common sense tells us that the boat will always be pushed laterally and downwind. So the question is bollocks.

I was tempted to explian using the Bernoulli's Principle, but I didn't think that would earn me any mark.

~Des

9:18 PM  
Blogger Istvan Paul said..

Yup. I think the effect of the Bernoulli phenomenon was set as a given, though i thought more of the Coanda effect. Are they the same thing?

11:37 PM  
Blogger Zoorado said..

Coanda effect doesn't explain the force on the sail. But it does accentuates the Bernoulli's effect if I'm not wrong.

Ah the wonders of aerodynamics...

~Des

2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< home